This page contains the Notice of Proposed Runway Use Restriction, the LAX Part 161 Study Application, and post-submittal correspondence between LAWA and the FAA.
The Notice of Proposed Runway Use Restriction (Notice) was released on November 1, 2012 in accordance with FAR Part 161.3. The Notice was submitted to the FAA, posted on airport property and on this website, and published in several newspapers including the Daily Breeze, California Crusader News, Culver City News, El Segundo Herald, Inglewood Today, La Opinion, Los Angeles Sentinel, Our Weekly, Palos Verdes Peninsula News, and the Argonaut. The Notice was also sent to numerous TV and radio stations in the Los Angeles area. It was also sent to all airlines and Fixed Base Operators operating at LAX. It was also sent to numerous federal and local elected officials. A listing of the distribution can be found in Appendix C.
The application was submitted to the FAA on January 29, 2013. FAA notified LAWA by letter on March 1, 2013 that the application is incomplete but did not provided specifics and promised a letter listing the deficiencies within 10 working days. The FAA followed up the March 1st letter on March 15, 2013 with specific details of the additional information needed to complete the application. LAWA submitted a letter to the FAA on March 28, 2013 informing them that LAWA will revise and resubmit the application to FAA.
LAWA and the Part 161 consulting team completed the Application Supplement and submitted it to the FAA for review on July 2, 2013. On August 2, 2013, the FAA informed LAWA by letter that the Application Supplement was still incomplete. LAWA responded to the FAA on August 20, 2013 informing them that LAWA will revise and resubmit the application. On May 9, 2014, LAWA completed the revision and submitted the revised application to FAA.
On June 10, 2014, the FAA notified LAWA that the Part 161 application is complete and that it plans subsequently issue a decision approving or disapproving the restriction on or before November 8, 2014.
On November 7, 2014, the FAA rendered a decision to disapprove the LAX Part 161 application.
- November 7, 2014 FAA Decision on the LAX Part 161 Application
- Notice of Proposed Runway Use Restriction
- Application Transmittal Letter to FAA, May 2014
- LAX Part 161 Application for Runway Use Restriction, May 2014
- Errata Transmittal Letter to FAA, May 2014
- Errata to LAX Part 161 Application, May 2014
- Appendix A
- Appendix B
- Appendix C
- Appendix D
- Appendix E
- Appendix F
- Appendix G
- Appendix H
- Appendix I
- Appendix J
- Appendix K
- Appendix L
- Appendix M
- Appendix N
- January 28, 2013 Application Transmittal Letter to FAA
- March 1, 2013 letter to LAWA from FAA
- March 15, 2013 letter to LAWA from FAA
- March 28, 2013 letter to FAA from LAWA
- August 2, 2013 letter to LAWA from FAA
- August 20, 2013 letter to FAA from LAWA
- June 10, 2014 letter to LAWA from FAA
- November 7, 2014 letter to LAWA from FAA