The LAX Film Office coordinates all commercial filming ventures from large scale full feature motion picture production to small still photographic shoots, with music video and television commercials in-between. The LAX Film Office handles airport tenant filming projects and student filming projects as well.
Filming takes place at LAX each day throughout the year with the exception of the week of Thanksgiving and the week between Christmas and New Year. Productions occur in various locations within the 3,500 LAX complex. It is the mission of LAX Film Office to retain our reputation for being the most “film friendly” airport and remain the “mentor” airport by efficiently and cordially meeting the needs of the production company and ensuring the integrity of the aviation community through consistence compliance of safety/security rules and regulations.
**Due to security regulations, filming activities beyond the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) screening checkpoints require additional security procedures and are approved on a case by case basis**
Available Filming Locations
With proper coordination the LAX Film Office is able to accommodate film production companies in almost any location at the airport as well as other properties owned by Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA). Productions are coordinated around airport operations with the least amount of impact to LAX tenants while allowing the film companies to obtain the shots they need. Locations include, but are not limited to:
- Terminal 1, Terminal 2, Terminal 3, Terminal 4, Terminal 5, Terminal 6, Terminals 7 & 8 (interior and exterior): Areas under lease by airport tenants require prior written approval from the tenant as well as coordination with the LAX Film Office
- Filming in terminals can include passenger holding areas, exterior gates, ticket counters, bag claim etc.
- Individual terminals may have specific restrictions – Contact the LAX Film Office for further details
**Filming of any government agency activity, procedures, personnel, equipment or content is strictly prohibited**
- Tom Bradley International Terminal (Terminal B) – Filming allowed in most public areas (pre-TSA Checkpoint); Restrictions and additional approvals required for areas beyond TSA checkpoint (sterile / secured areas)
- Various Areas of the Central Terminal Area (curbsides, parking structures & LAX sign)
- Imperial Terminal Ramp – Security restrictions apply
- Old Air Traffic Control Tower – Exterior filming only
- Sand Dunes / Surfridge (El Segundo Blue Butterfly Preserve) – Environmental and security restrictions apply
- Theme Building – Exterior filming only
- Various exterior lots (based on availability)
- LAX Public Parking Structures (Limited availability & Restrictions apply)
- LAX Public Parking Lots (Limited availability & Restrictions apply)
- Sand Dunes / Surfridge (El Segundo Blue Butterfly Preserve) – Restrictions apply
REQUIREMENTS FOR USING LAX AIRPORT PROPERTY
BEFORE YOUR PROGRAM CAN BE APPROVED, THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION MUST BE PROVIDED TO THE LAX FILM OFFICE AT LEAST 7 - 10 BUSINESS DAYS IN ADVANCE OF YOUR ARRIVAL DATE:
EFFECTIVE MARCH 3, 2014 - TO SECURE A PERMIT TO FILM ON LAX PROPERTY, PLEASE CONTACT FILM L.A. AT 213-977-8600
FAILURE TO FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS AND/OR SUBMIT PROPER DOCUMENTS IN A TIMELY MANNER WILL RESULT IN DENIAL OF USE OF AIRPORT PROPERTY FOR FILMING
- Contact the LAX Film Office to schedule a preliminary location scout. LAX Film Office staff should be present for all location scouts. For administrative reasons, location / tech scouts are only conducted during regular Film Office hours of operations (no weekend or holiday).
- Tech scouts should be conducted at least one week in advance of your filming date(s).
- Tech scouts are required prior to using airport property and determined on a case by case basis. The LAX Film Office, LAFD, airport tenant and terminal management (when applicable) are all required attendees for tech scouts.