What are the most “in-demand” positions at LAX?
The majority of positions at LAX require interaction with the travelling public, therefore it is important that anyone seeking employment be able to work in a team environment and communicate well. There are also support positions with the airlines and car rental facilities that help the flow of passengers and cargo.
Examples of these positions include: Customer Service Representatives, Ground Service Personnel, Ramp Agents, Restaurant Personnel, Security, Shuttle Bus Drivers and many more.
What are the desired qualifications for employment at LAX?
There are basic requirements that all potential candidates should possess to work at any airport location:
1. At least 18 years old
2. Right to work status in the U.S.
3. Ability to pass a drug test
4. Ability to successfully pass a 10-year security screening (no felony convictions)
5. Flexibility in schedule and the ability to work nights, weekends and holidays
6. Reliable transportation due to various schedules. Some buses do not operate during certain hours.
7. Customer service experience (desired but not required)
8. Professional appearance
9. Class B driver’s license (for Shuttle Bus positions);
10. Bilingual (maybe required for some positions)
We work directly with local Worksource Centers, One-Stop Centers, community and faith-based organizations to find pre-screened, pre-qualified and badgeable people for employment consideration.
An applicant for any position at LAX must be “pre-screened, pre-qualified and badgeable”, can you clarify this?
- Pre-screened: BJRC or an outside agency has vetted an applicant for interview consideration;
- Pre-qualified: the applicant has the basic education and experience related to the requirements for a given position;
- Badgeable: Applicants must be able to pass a background check, which covers a 10-year security clearance with no felonies. To discuss your specific case, please contact the Security Badge Office at 424-646-5900.
What is the “Project Impact Area” or PIA?
FSHP is designed to provide employment consideration and access to vacant positions for residents from the communities immediately surrounding the airport and those most impacted by airport operations. These communities are a part of the Project Impact Area (PIA) and are comprised of South Los Angeles, El Segundo, Hawthorne, Inglewood and Lennox.
Are “Project Impact Areas” identifiable by postal zip code?
The LAX PIA includes the following zip codes:
90043, 90044, 90045, 90047, 90066, 90094, 90230, 90245, 90250, 90293, 90301, 90302, 90303, 90304, 90305
I submitted an application for employment, what happens next?
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide "status updates" on applications because we only post the jobs and we do not hire candidates. If you meet the minimum requirements for a given position, you may be contacted directly by the employer within 30 days. In some cases, they may conduct an initial telephone interview or invite you to come in for a traditional sit-down interview.
I was offered a job, how soon can I start?
Any job offer by an airport employer is contingent upon the candidate passing the security clearance requirements. Generally, you can expect the process to take an average of 4-6 weeks.