- AOA Familiarization Icon
- Aircraft Surface Movement (ASM) Icon
- Air Traffic Control (ATC) Icon
– This class is no longer provided at the LAX Airport Operations office. LAWA Maintenance, LAFD and FAA Tech Ops may take the class online with approval from your management and you must receive a User ID from Airport Operations.
Note: For the Restricted Area Driver (RAD) Trainer Program –
please see ‘RAD Program’
Class Description and Requirements
AOA Familiarization Icon Training
- Provided only to employees and contractors that have an operational need to be adjacent to specific movement areas
- Familiarizes LAWA personnel, tenants, and contractors with the airport layout
- Discusses airport terminology, airport layout, movement vs. non-movement areas, airport safety issues, taxiway/runway markings, lighting & signage, vehicle/pedestrian deviations, and construction safety.
- Does not allow access onto active movement areas (taxiways, runways, and safety areas)
- One hour class
- Required every 24 months
- Authorized on a case-by-case, as needed basis per your Authorized Signer
Aircraft Surface Movement (ASM) Icon Training
- Provided to airline and ground handling employees who have the responsibility to move aircraft a distance of more than 1,500 feet by means of taxi or tow on LAX aircraft movement areas.
- 1 ½ hour class
- A current airfield map will be distributed to each attendee
- The training must consist of the following (see FAR Part 139.329 and LAX Rules and Regulations Sections 4.5.1, 4.5.2 and 4.5.3):
- Company Training – It is the tenant’s responsibility to ensure that all personnel have been trained and given an orientation program of all aircraft movement and parking areas. The tenant must ensure that all personnel have been trained in the proper methods and procedures for operation of aircraft, tow tractor and other required equipment, airfield and visual aids familiarization, proper VHF radio operating procedures and ATC communications.
- Classroom Training with LAX Airport Operations – A classroom segment will consist of material in accordance with FAR Part 139.329.
- Examination – Successful completion and passing of a 30-question test with a minimum passing score of 90%.
- Certification – Upon successful completion of the program, the applicant will be given a signed ASM stamp on Page 4 of their LAX Security Badge application.
- Badging – Upon completion of all the requirements of the ASM Training and the LAX Security Badge Application, the applicant can be rebadged with the Aircraft Surface Movement Icon.
- Classroom training, examination, certification, and badging are required every 12 months per Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR Part 139.329)
Air Traffic Control (ATC) Icon
- Applicable only to LAX Airport Operations, LAWA Maintenance, LAWA Airfield Bus Operations, LAFD and FAA Tech Ops – you must be on the approved list and receive a User ID from Airport Operations.
- Discusses airport familiarization including airport markings, lighting and sign systems; procedures for access to, and operation in movement areas; ATC radio communications; vehicle/pedestrian deviations, construction safety, FOD and wildlife hazards.
- Required per FAR 139.303 by any personnel with an operational need to access Aircraft Movement Areas (AOA) and perform duties in compliance with the requirements of the Airport Certification Manual (ACM)
- If you only access closed movement areas during the course of your duties you may take the AOA Familiarization class instead. With this icon positive escort is required at all times while accessing open or closed movement areas.
- Training must be completed prior to the initial performance of required duties and once every 12 consecutive calendar months
- Must take a written exam with a passing rate of 90%
LAX Airport Operations
7333 World Way West, 2nd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90045
- No appointment necessary
- Please show up at least 15 minutes prior to class start
- You must bring valid photo ID – driver’s license, passport, etc.
- You may bring a completed badge application if available or you may return at a later time with a completed badge application after successful class completion to receive the appropriate stamp
Supplemental Training Material and Guides