CREATING WORLDS OF OPPORTUNITY FOR TOMORROW’S LEADERS
The GATEWAYS College Internship Program is a paid internship program that was developed to provide supplemental support for the current and projected increased workload demand at Los Angeles World Airports. Student Professional Workers (SPWs) are hired on a part-time basis through the GATEWAYS College Internship Program in an effort to help college students gain valuable work experience and also provide future career opportunities with the City of Los Angeles.
- Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) is comprised of two airports: the Los Angeles International Airports (LAX) and Van Nuys Airport (VNY). Depending on the student's field of interest and position availability at LAWA, students can work at either of the two LAWA locations (LAX, VNY).
- SPW's perform work of limited scope and difficulty under the close supervision of technical or professional personnel. Practical work experience is obtained in a variety of technical or professional fields while enrolled full-time in a college or university. This position requires using the interpersonal skills, knowledge, and ability to interface with multiple agencies and LAWA personnel through verbal and written communication.
- The Gateways College Internship Program is a one-year internship only for college students. Each intern will be asked to resign after completion of the program. The term for a senior student may be shorter than one year, depending on when the student starts the internship program and when the student graduates.
- As a policy, an intern cannot be hired or placed under the direct or indirect supervision of relatives.
Pay Scales and Hours
- Salary is $16.22 per hour.
- SPW's can work up to 1040 hours in 12 consecutive months and are required to work at least 2 days per week at a 10 hour minimum. Students may work up to 24 hours per week while in school, however, during certain periods such as winter, spring, and summer breaks, students may work up to 32 hours per week.
- SPW's are not eligible for benefits (sick leave, etc.), as their hourly pay is considered full remuneration. Students are eligible for Compensated Personal Time Off (CPTO), after working 6 consecutive months and at least 500 compensated hours. SPW's can accrue up to 48 hours of CPTO time which can be used for vacation or sick hours.
- SPW’s must be enrolled in college on a full-time basis (12 or more semester units) and provide copies of proof of enrollment and units accumulated (transcripts).
- Graduate students must be enrolled in 6 college units or more.
- Students must maintain a GPA of 2.70 per semester.
Students must provide Community Relations with copies of grades and class schedules in the Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer, and upon request. For additional information regarding the GATEWAYS College Internship Program please contact the Community Relations Division:
6053 Century Blvd., Suite 301, 3rd floor, Los Angeles, CA 90045
Students who are interested in applying for the Gateways College Internship Program will need to complete the Student Internship Request Form below and submit it to the Community Relations Division along with a copy of their resume.